Sunday 3 August 2014

Another year older

It has been a funny old year since my last post.

The reason I haven't written is because there has been nothing much to write about. It seemed to rain continuously from September to March and for whatever reason there has been a distinct lack of activity in the garden.

There has certainly been a much less diverse selection of birds, although I was pleased to see three juvenile blackbirds on the back lawn yesterday, which may indicate a reduction in the number of predators or might just be chance. The buzzards are in the skies, including juveniles, but I haven't noticed any sparrowhawks or kestrels around and I think there have been fewer magpies.

I seem to have seen a greater number of house-sparrows too and fewer dunnocks, and the local ravens have been around more often too. I haven't seen the woodpecker this year.

Foxes have mainly been spotted in the evening on the street - we had no snow so I couldn't keep track of activity in the garden in winter. I haven't seen any fox cubs around this year anyway.

Both of the new apple trees are fruiting (only the Katy did last year) and, though I was worried about a lack of bees when the apples were in full blossom, a couple of weeks later the rhododendron in the back garden and the thyme in the front were crawling with bumble bees and honey bees. Three damson trees are now in the front garden and I am considering adding a plum and a greengage in the back.

Finally, there seem to have been plenty of frogs in the back during the evening so there is obviously plenty for them to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment